Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Fancy Meeting You Here...

  By rights, I should be feeling traumatised right now, but instead I seem to be merely amused.
  I met someone tonight who I used to know... when I was alive, that is.  She was actually quite a good friend of mine.  We did all the standard silly 'girl things' together as we grew up; traded clothes, did each other's hair, giggled over boys.  She's the one who taught me how to put my hair up in the neat little twist I still use.  I became a priest and she became a mage, and then I died.  I remember that she'd just completed her first month of apprenticeship when the Undead Plague reached our village.
  Despite the fact that I caught it and she obviously didn't, I suppose she must have found it far more traumatic than I did, since I can't imagine her joining the Scarlet Crusade otherwise.  Perhaps she joined them to 'avenge' my death?  That would be delightfully ironic, now wouldn't it?
  Whatever the reason, I looked up from looting a body... er... well I'd been ordered to kill them, hadn't I?  No sense in leaving their belongings behind if I can get some use out if them... and there she was, staring at me.  She obviously recognised me, since instead of charging up a firebolt she was just standing there with a horrified expression on her face.  (Note to self: undeath obviously makes one far more mentally resilient than the living.  All I wanted to do was laugh.)
  So I waved.  I would have said hello, but I've discovered that now that I'm dead I seem to be unable to speak or understand Common, which is an interesting change.  And she ran away.
  I find myself faced with a bit of a dilemma, now.  I don't seem to retain any strong emotional ties to my former life - obviously, or I wouldn't be enjoying my undeath as much as I am - but I do feel a sort of mild fondness towards my old friend.  I certainly don't plan to kill her myself, Scarlet Annoyance or no Scarlet Annoyance, and I think I'd be mildly distressed if I found out that someone else had disposed of her.  Perhaps I should put up some "Not Wanted" posters around Undercity?  Put an anti-bounty on her head, and pay for it to stay on her body?  I've made a little money from cooking recipes lately, I could afford a few silver at least...
  Perhaps I'll run into her again.  That would be nice.

6 comments:

Bell said...

That would be a lot of people you would have to pay. Everyone would be showing up saying "I didn't kill her today! Gimme my silver." Very taxing. Not sure what a good solution would be, though!

Melindrava said...

True. *sigh* Perhaps I could require them to get her signature, to prove that they'd actually met her but not killed her?

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say, I'm thoroughly enjoying this new blog! What a fresh perspective (well, maybe "fresh" isn't the right word, under the circumstances...) you've brought to our little corner of WoW. :)

Very happy to have added you to my blogroll--eagerly awaiting more!

Anonymous said...

I've just stumbled on your blog from Kes's reccomendation, I love it!
feed has been promptly added and I'm looking forward to hearing more of your adventures :)

Anonymous said...

I'm here on Kestrel's recommendation as well, and I really enjoyed what I read! Added your feed, and looking forward to reading more!

Melindrava said...

*blink blink* My goodness. Thank you, kind sir Kestrel and ladies! I'll try to live up to-- ah... I'll try to meet your expectations!